Re: cross sections of high-energy proton

>About the Tony Hillerman reference:
>
>  Tony Hillerman is an author who writes mystery novels situated
>in & around the ... cross sections of high-energy proton reactions?
>  ( A little background:  LAMPF is an 800 MeV proton accelerator,
>operating at 1 milliampere of current.)
>
>  The only values I can find are for energies "greater than 100 MeV"
>and the like...

I have just a two-cent knee-jerk guess.  Perhaps at "greater than 100 MeV",
the less-intuitive low-energy QM physics effects are negligible compared to
high-energy CLASSICAL (Some might say "optical") physics effects.

Albert Lee Vest           The Ohio State University
Health Physicist    Room 103 1314 Kinnear Road Bldg
(614)292-1284                     1314 Kinnear Road
avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu   Columbus OH 43212
My employer did not review or approve this message.