Envirocare option

Radsafers,

While I haven't seen the Greensboro Record article, Eugene Gleason from
Envirocare spoke last week at the Appalachian Compact Users of
Radioctive Isotopes (ACURI) annual meeting.  This spring they received a
license to accept additional forms of waste - paper, plastic, glass and
wood ("trash") and class of radioactive material (byproduct material)
beyond the uranium mill tailings they originally could accept.  This now
makes them a viable option for waste disposal for a lot of people.  The
Northwest Compact is not considering them a "compact site" for purposes
of restricting access.  Therefore, the site is open to any state where
the compact allows export of waste.  They do have a tremendous potential
disposal capacity - ~500 million cubic feet, and dispose of about 3
million cubic feet per year.  (Compare that to South Carolina's hope for
about 600,000 cubic feet.)

Consult your waste broker or Envirocare directly for specifics on
acceptable waste packaging, radioactivity levels etc.  I'm not trying to
advertise for Envirocare, but when the Compact says to plan for storing
waste for at least eight more years, it is worth exploring any and all
options.

Ed Tupin
RSO, Center for Devices and Radiological Health
EAT@fdadr.cdrh.fda.gov
(301) 827-1230
Fax:  (301) 594-4760