Scrap metal radiation detectors

Mark - First of all, if you haven't seen it, read the article by
Jim Yusko and me in the April, 1995 issue of Health Physics.  It
includes a number of useful references such as for a US
Government warning poster and guidance procedures issued by the
Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (which also has a video
that is useful for training workers).

This past April the Steel Manufacturers Association (SMA)
sponsored field tests of radiation detectors for scrap metal.
Tony LaMastra, CHP was the test coordinator.  I understand that a
draft report has been prepared.  I suggest contacting SMA and/or
Tony for information:

SMA - Christina Bechak, Vice President, tel. 202-296-1515
Tony LaMastra, President, Health Physics Associates,
610-756-4153.

Jim Yusko can be rached at 412-442-4000.
I can be reached at 301-415-7910

Let Jim or I know if we can be of any other assistance.

Joel Lubenau
JOL@NRC.GOV