Damage Thresholds

Hello, everyone.

Do any of you know of any standards that might provide information
concerning the amount of damage a laser protective barrier must be able
to take, yet still protect the system operator? We have a case where the
operators want to switch from solid plexiglass barriers around a CO2
laser, and go to cheaper, thinner flexible plastic curtains similar to
thick shower curtains. True, the thin stuff stops the beam, but it
probably would burn through in short order. The rigid plexiglass will
eventually burn through, but not before the operator has enough time to
shut the machine off. I've checked ANSI Z136.1 and 21 CFR 1040 to no
avail.

How long _does_ a barrier have to protect the operator? Inquiring minds
want to know.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/106      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space            Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611