NRC Exemptions Info Request

As you may be aware ORNL is taking another look at the NRC exemptions.
Having just subscribed to RADSAFE (today) I have not been privy to
discussions on this subject (in particular -- thoriated tungsten welding
rods), other than a summary of a comments made ~9/7 - 9/8.

In reference to the thoriated tungsten welding rods, does anyone have any
import information -- countries of origin, number imported annually, and U.S
distributors? We have attempted to get U.S. trade information but can not
directly obtain information for thoriated tungsten welding rods (as one
might imagine).

One other question refers to an exemption for uranium contained in detector
heads for use in fire detection units (10 CFR 40.13 (d)). The original
petition for the exemption was requested by a company that no longer exists
and of the people contacted, who are knowledgeable about fire/smoke
detection systems, none recall uranium ever being used.  Does anyone have
any information related to this exemption?

Any information you may have on these subjects would be greatly appreciated!

P.A. Scofield
ORNL, OECD