Re: Transuranic Source Disposal -Reply

Reply to avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Albert Lee Vest), and others.

It is also written that low level waste (LLW) shall contain radioactivity
and shall not be classified as HLW, TRU, spent Nuke fuel, or byproduct
material, and furthermore shall have less than 100 nCi/g of transuranic
material.  Thou hast rightly judged that LLW may contain transuranics and
that the said LLW may be disposed.  Man shall not live by bread, alone, but
by every word that procedes from......

>It is written,
>
>>Transuranic waste has TRU content at over 100nCi/g regardless of the origin
>>of material.  High level waste is from reprocessing of spent nuclear fuels
>>(DOE 5820.2A).
>>
>>Incidentally, there is no way of disposing of TRU waste.
>
>My inference is, waste material contaminated (or intentionally spiked) with
>*lower* than 100 nCi/g transuranic *can* be disposed of somehow (since it's
>not "TRU waste").  Is that correct?
>
>Albert Lee Vest           The Ohio State University
>Health Physicist    Room 103 1314 Kinnear Road Bldg
>(614)292-1284                     1314 Kinnear Road
>avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu   Columbus OH 43212
>My employer did not review or approve this message.

"If you're going to walk all over me, the least you could do
is take off your shoes."     (Junior Wells)

David Yeamans
CST-7, MS E516, (505) 665-8832
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544