Re: Your expert opinion...

 Perhaps the best way to address this concern regarding units is:

 1)  Look at the comments received when regulatory agencies mandate a change
     from traditional units to SI units.  (My recollection is commercial
     concerns such as power plants, radiography companies, etc. complain
     about the cost of implementing new units, claiming there is no gain for
     doing so.)

 2)  Look at the units these facilities and operations use, particularly
     when they have a choice.  Do they do reports, submit papers, etc in SI
     units unless they have to?  (Once again, my limited experience is "Not
     unless they have to.")

 As always, this represents my personal views and does not necessarily reflect
 the views of my employer, management, co-workers, or anyone else important.

 Thanks,
 Richard W. Edwards, Analyst            The Boeing Company
 Phone/Fax: (206)393-1999/393-3060      P.O. Box 3703, M/S 6Y-38
 email: shea132@kgv2.bems.boeing.com    Seattle, WA 98124-2207