Subject: Re: Your expert opinion...
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet-Mail
Date:    9/29/95 9:52 AM

Tom,

In addition to the comments referenced below, a good reference to use for
demonstrating that the US nuke industry is not that interested in changing
to SI units would be the many discussions contained in the HPS newsletter
and the Journal (probably Nuclear News too).  As I recall, there have been a
number of letters with rebuttals.  It has been my observation that the US
industry has been kicking and screaming about _changing_ all the way.  Of
course, this may not enhance your friends GPA.

"Change is your friend."

Rob Gunter

At 07:58 AM 9/29/95 -0500, you wrote:
> Perhaps the best way to address this concern regarding units is:
>
> 1)  Look at the comments received when regulatory agencies mandate a change
>     from traditional units to SI units.  (My recollection is commercial
>     concerns such as power plants, radiography companies, etc. complain
>     about the cost of implementing new units, claiming there is no gain for
>     doing so.)
>
> 2)  Look at the units these facilities and operations use, particularly
>     when they have a choice.  Do they do reports, submit papers, etc in SI
>     units unless they have to?  (Once again, my limited experience is "Not
>     unless they have to.")
>
> As always, this represents my personal views and does not necessarily reflect
> the views of my employer, management, co-workers, or anyone else important.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard W. Edwards, Analyst            The Boeing Company
> Phone/Fax: (206)393-1999/393-3060      P.O. Box 3703, M/S 6Y-38
> email: shea132@kgv2.bems.boeing.com    Seattle, WA 98124-2207

Robert J. Gunter
Ph: 6-6317
Bldg:  105MIT