???Disposal of Chemical Stocks

My manager asked that I post this up for your consideration and
response.  Please respond directly to his email address.

Thanks,

Jim Barnes
-------------------------

Perhaps someone out there can help me with this issue.

During recent chemistry lab cleanouts, several bottles of lab chemicals
such as uranium & thorium oxides, nitrates, sulphates and acetates have
been identified for disposal.  These were used for their chemical
characteristics rather than their radioactive characteristics.
Although the quantities involved fall well below the regulatory limits
for labeling as radioactive material, the hazardous waste disposal
contractors will not take these items if they exceed 25 microR/hr
(gross) at the surface.

We also had difficulty disposing of 55 gallon drum quantities of
solution containing potassium nitrate which also slightly exceeded 25
microR/hr because of the K-40.  The haz waste contractor eventually
took this but only when we provided him with a gamma spec analysis of
the solution proving it was only K-40.   Another problem is some
"polishing compound" paste of unknown manufacture which has relatively
high thorium content and which also exceeds the haz waste contractor's
limit by 35 microR/hr.

I presume other facilities have had similar problems with source
material and potassium-40.  Do you dispose as low level radioactive
waste?  If so, where?  I hear Barnwell is accepting waste from other
states.

Has anyone had problems with regulators regarding how these items
should be regulated?  As LLRW, as hazardous waste or mixed waste?

I would welcome advise of users and regulators alike.

Phil Rutherford
Rocketdyne Division
Rockwell International
Tel:	(818) 586-6140