Re: Nobel Prizes for Radiation Science

It's been an exciting week at Princeton what with Eric Wieschaus, faculty mem-
ber in the Molecular Biology Department, winning the Nobel Prize.  A brief
clarification to Dave Scherer's message:  In recent years, Eric has been using
a cabinet x-ray system, not a Cs-137 source, to induce mutations in his fruit
flies.  Of course his lab does use radioisotopes in standard molecular biology
procedures.  We were really pleased that someone like Eric won the prize be-
cause he's one of the good guys: cooperative, willing to work with us on issues
of radiation safety, sets a good tone for his lab so that we've had very few
problems over the years.

And best of all, now I know why I went into health physics - it's so my mom can
brag to all her neighbors about her daughter knowing a Nobel Prize winner! (As
you can probably tell - I'm a little taken with the idea myself!)

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University
dupre@princeton.edu