Re[2]: NIH Incident

     The symptoms are consistent with "panic" or anxiety attacks. I am not
     sure whether they can be construed to be "brain disease." They are
     manifested in a person who has suffered trauma or extreme
     psychological stress. I am also not sure whether a person who is
     stressed out can be diagnosed as having "brain disease." We all suffer
     some form of stress that is manifested in many different ways. This
     person is stressed out for very good reason. Whether or not the
     radiation exposure has the potential to affect her fetus is not the
     important issue here. The important factor is that she "believes and
     perceives " that to be the case and is understandably very stressed
     out. I would suppose her husband might feel the same, and may even
     demonstrate the same traits as she does. I would not consider him to
     have a "brain disease" either.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company