--------------------------------------
Date: 10/16/95 4:01 PM
To: GARY MANSFIELD
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

And that's the whole point. Radiation protection standards are not
"scientific." They never have been. The ICRP and NCRP have taken the
most conservative hypothesis possible consistent with using radiation
and radioactive material at all. There never has been public debate on
whether such an idea had, or currently has, merit. All I want to do is
create reasonable debate. We have had the linear hypothesis forced down
our throats for more than 50 years. The time has come to question
whether the hypothesis is appropriate in this day and age recognizing
what has happened to public opinion about the danger of radiation and
the consequent gradual, programed demise of the nuclear option. If we
are to loose employment for 4 million in the nuclear industry and an
annual contribution to the gross domestic product of some 350 billion
dollars, there better be measurable compensatory benefit. Scientists
HAVE DICTATED results. They have DICTATED radiation protection standards
for more than 50 years. And the standards they dictated have been
corrupted in the public mind. Now, either the scientists should fix the
corruption or we need different standards. I don't see the scientists
fixing anything. All they do is make things more complex without ANY
measurable increase in safety. I don't know that 300 rem spread over a
lifetime will, for sure, cause cancer or anything else. Maybe the Techa
river data will tell us something. Maybe the Chernobyl data, if it is
any good, will tell us something. But, until we know radiation at such
levels over those time frames is, in fact, harmful, I think it is
unethical and immoral to frighten members of the public into thinking a
little radiation, no matter how small can and will hurt you. It is even
worse for knowledgable individuals to let that idea remain loose in the
world. If scientists, regulators and other knowledgable people would, in
a concerted manner, work to eliminate the corruption of the idea that a
little radiation MAY cause harm into a little radiation WILL cause harm,
I might be more charitable toward the hypothesis. At this point I don't
know what else to do except excise the hypothesis.

*** Reply to note of 10/16/95 15:34