Re: linear hypothesis

David,

IF there were a threshold, would this not be true?
Please elaborate a little more than just you don't understand statistics

Thanks,

**********************************
*       damcclure@lanl.gov       *
*       Donald A. McClure        *
* Los Alamos National Laboratory *
* Dynamic Experimentation, DX-11 *
*            MS: P940            *
*      Los Alamos, NM 87544      *
*          505/667-3243          *
**********************************

>On Tue, 17 Oct 95 10:47:17 -0500 Chris Davey wrote:
>
>> From: Chris Davey <cdavey@med.phys.ualberta.ca>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 10:47:17 -0500
>> Subject: Re: linear hypothesis
>> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>>
>> <snip>>
>> > Unfortunately, as implied in my previous posting, proving or disproving the
>> > linear no threshold model at low doses is near to impossible. However, the
>> > linear model is well established at higher doses, and in the absence of
>> > credible contradictory evidence, I believe that extrapolation of this data
>> > to low doses is defendable AND scientific.
>> >
>> 100 pain-killers will almost immediately kill anyone who takes them at one
>> time.  If we assumed linear response, then 100 people taking one pain-killer
>> each would result in one death.  Or 100 million people taking 1 millionth
>> of a pain-killer each... same result - one death.
>>

>Sorry but this is not true as stated, there is a difference between
stochastic and non-stochastic which you seem to fail