Info request

     Hello radsafers,

     Would someone help me with a debate that I started with an anti-Yucca
     Valley spokesman. He published the following, concerning the repository and
     the legislation currently proposed for it's construction:

     "the repository radiation release standard associated with one excess
     cancer death for every 285 exposed individuals."

     I responded by asking the  following question:

     > Micheal,
     >
     > I would like more information concerning the "repository radiation
     release standard associated with one excess cancer death for every 285
     exposed individuals."

     > Does this mean that people are going to die of cancer if the proposed >
     legislation is approved?

     His (the anti) answer was:

     >The International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP)
     >associates a lifetime (70-yr) continuous exposure to 100
     >millirems with an excess 350 radiation caused cancer deaths per
     >100,000 people, which equals one in 285.7.  Many in the activist
     >community believe these figures understate the risk, though they
     >are generally accepted by governments.  The radiation standard
     >in H.R. 1020 and S. 1271 would therefore allow a yearly dose to
     >those living their lives near a Yucca Mountain repository that
     >would raise their lifetime chance of contracting fatal cancer by
     >the factor stated above.

     My request is that someone from radsaf who is familiar with low level
     radiation effects evaluate his last reply. Is it true? What is ICRP? I
     am a power plant engineer but I do not work in health physics. Thanks
     in advance to the members of this list.

     John Hughes
     hughesj@songs.sce.com