Re: A couple off-the-wall (unrelated) questions

Jim et al.,

Sounds like the budget isn't any better in Cheyenne!

Anyway, first for XDRs, extremity monitoring for generally non-
penetrating radiation is about all that would be relevant
(even in an Agreement State like California).  I'm assuming
your energy levels are in the few keV range in saying this.
Whole body dosimeters are (literally) a waste of time.
Extremity monitors can be useful since XDRs can produce
very intense beams (which obviously are not easy to get
to unless its a home-made system with few, no, or inadequate
interlocks, which is another story...).  All the problems of
limited angle/partial body exposures then come to play in
accident scenarios.

Second, you bet that RF energy can affect unshielded GMs!
As a demonstration, take a GM based electronic dosimeter
with an alarm point at 1 mrem.  Take it to what an electrician
has identified as an RF emitting faulty power panel.  If its
like our chirpers, stand by for a continuous alarm in the
vicinity (maybe 3 or more feet away depending on the emission
power level).  You can use unshielded radiation detection
equipment (not a very cost effective method, of course) to
locate such defective panels!  If you regularly have high
power non-ionizing sources near radiation survey points,
you'll need some RF shielded radiation detection instruments
for the purpose.

Have a good weekend on the high plains!

MikeG.

At 03:43 PM 10/20/95 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello out there in RadSafe land...
>
>I have a couple things which are puzzling me on this Friday ...
Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346
Fax:    (415) 926-3030