Re: GM counter and Two-Way Radios

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, LENTZC wrote:

> I had an interesting experience with a Dept. of Public Health inspector. He was
> inspecting our fluoroscope and wanted to test the shielding in the walls of the
> room. So we went into the next room with his GM while my colleague stayed in
> the fluoroscope room to switch it on and off. We communicated by two-way radio.
> Every time I radioed her to turn on the fluoroscope, the inspector's GM pegged.
> He got really excited and I got really nervous until I realized that the GM was
> pegging WHILE I was talking on the radio. Every time I keyed the radio the GM
> went crazy. It was not a particularly good time to learn this detail, but we
> all had a good laugh about it and the inspector learned something too.
>

> Carol W. Lentz
> lentzc@aa.wl.com

We did the same thing using a Victoreen 450P (pressurized ionization
chamber), whilst making measurements of radiation from a linear
accelerator.  The meter actually registered way down (negative, with
readings in milliR, as it is a LCD equipped meter).  Obviously any
spurious readings which we get (transient ones) are now labelled as
likely to be caused by CB radio usage nearby.  (Love that negative
radiation...  is that good for you?!?)

Chris Davey
RSO 	Cross Cancer Institute,  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada