Re: GM counter and Two-Way Radios

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, Alex Zapantis wrote:

> >>We did the same thing using a Victoreen 450P (pressurized ionization
> >>chamber), whilst making measurements of radiation from a linear
> >>accelerator.  The meter actually registered way down (negative, with
> >>readings in milliR, as it is a LCD equipped meter).
Of course, I should have been more precise and said mR/hr

> Is it possible that your ionisation chamber has become "wet" somehow? That
> might explain negative readings. Victoreen makes an RF shielded ionisation
> chamber detector. Is the 450P that one? I can't remember.

No, this meter is not shielded!  And no, its pretty dry here....
Actually, I remember getting really impressive readings with a Keithley
36150 meter (also ionization chamber) but this was a couple of years ago,
and I just thought it was amusing at the time

>                         Alex Zapantis
>                         Radiation Safety Officer

I liked the humorous responses... who says scientists aren't funny?

Chris Davey, RSO