Reqeust for Kerala Control Data

Response to R. Kathren and J. Muckerheide on linear hypothesis.

RK> . . . in the Kerala State of India, an increased incidence of
  > Down's syndrome and chromosome aberrations has been reported.

JM> I'm intrigued by the stretch that goes into trying to demonstrate effects in
  > the face of much more substantial data that shows no or negative effects.

The theory is: "less than 5 rem has no effect".

Either:
 1. the theory is disproved by Kerala data, or
 2. the theory is correct and the Kerala data have a non-radiation cause.

JM argues:

JM> "Nobel Laureate Dr. Rosalyn Yalow reports . . .
  > . . . The lack of Down's syndrome in the particular town used as a
  > control population is a statistical small-number aberration."

I am not convinced by a Nobel judgement.  I will be convinced if a
non-radiation difference between Kerala and control can be shown to
have caused the 12 to 0 cases.  Does such data exist?  Is there a
non-radiation difference to explain the Kerala:control difference in
Down Syndrome?

Or, is this to be left unresolved?

regards,

Andrew Hodgdon