Subject: Re: Household radioactive materials?
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at CCSMTP
Date:    10/26/95 2:22 PM

>I am going to be giving a presentation next week on radioactive materials
>in the household.  Can people please give some examples of what can be found?

Depends on the household.

Mostly, I'd think of tritium/promethium watches, compasses and "procured"
airplane nav devices, lantern mantles (thorium impregnated), and americium
smoke detectors.

This is, actually, the list of exempt sources in the Colorado Regulations.

Then there's radon and progeny in the basement, and all the fallout on the
tobacco leaves in cigarettes.  And the infamous K-40 in bananas.

Hope this helps.

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
***********This message is hereby disclaimed***********