Re: Reqeust for Kerala Control Data

Jim --

Sorry I surprised you, but I do not think I in any way misrepresented any
data.  In reference to the Kerala population, BEIR V, p. 384 states: "The
incidence of both Down syndrome and chromosome aberrations has beeen
reported to be increased .  .  ."  citing the paper by Kochupillan (1976) as
authority.  For the Chinese, BEIR V, p. 385, states "The prevalence of Down
syndrome was greater in the high-background region, but this was discounted
because the residents of the control area had a lower prevalence than those
of surrounding counties, who had rates similar to those living in the high
natural background area."

Chromosome aberrations -- clearly a biological effect -- do seem to be
related to radiation exposure.  Whether the effect is deleterious or not is
another question.  Please, let us retain our scientific objectivity and not
get trapped into advocacy or adversarial positions.

Ron Kathren