Cf-252 NEUTRON SOURCE AVAILABLE

     Radsafers:
     Is anyone out there interested in a free Cf-252 source?  Please
     check with your physics and nuclear engineering colleagues.

     We have a neutron source originally containing 44.3 ug of
     Californium 252 which we purchased in January 1991.  We have no
     future use for this source and are willing to give it to someone
     who does.

     If anyone is interested, please contact me and we will begin the
     process to transfer to a new license, etc.  The new owner would
     need to take title, have a license that would permit possession,
     and be willing to come get it (San Clemente, California).  We can
     assist with shipping information.

     Eric Goldin
     Southern California Edison
     goldinem@songs.sce.com
     (714) 368-7532

     Source data:  Initially, the source strength was 1.025 E+8
     neutrons/sec.  The source includes a DOT certified shipping
     container.

     Outside the drum dose rates taken on October 14, 1995:
     Distance                Gamma    Neutron

     Contact with the drum   5 mR/hr  0
     30 cm                   1 mR/hr  0

     With an effective half-life of Cf-252 of 2.6 years, this spring
     the source strength was about 1 E+7 neutrons/sec.

     The physical configuration of the source is about 2" long with an
     attached 6" leash cable.

     The DOT certified shipping cask and 55 gallon drum for shielding
     in which the source/shipping cask resides will go with the
     source.  We will also provide the certification paperwork for the
     source and shipping casks/drum, and an unloading procedure from
     the source manufacturer.