Feline I-131 Release Criteria

cc: mcgraham@mail.med.cornell.edu,bbusby@umich.edu

Current release limits (in Texas) for cats who have been treated with
I-131:

*   < 0.5 mrem/hr @ 1ft;
*   < 10 uCi excreted per day; and
*   Written handling instructions for the cat, which include
    requirements for  restricting the cat to the property and
    restricting access to children (usually for a couple of
    additional weeks)

    Note that this is in addition to the normal license requirements
    for the handling of mCi quantities of liquid I-131.  Also note
    that animal excreta is not exempt, as human excreta is.

> Date:          Fri, 27 Oct 95 22:28:22 -0500
> From:          Bruce Busby <bbusby@umich.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       ??? Animal I-131
>
> ----- cut and send to radsafe ----------
>
> From: mcgraham@mail.med.cornell.edu
>
> We are currently reviewing an animal protocol for the treatment
> of hyperthyroid cats with I-131.  These cats are eventually
> released to their owners.  I would like to know what you
> consider the maximum amount of activity that a cat can
> retain before being released- in essence- to the public.
> I am familiar with the criteria for humans but have no
> experience with animals.

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P., Administrator      512-834-6688
Licensing Branch                           512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us