Subject: Rad licensee babysitters
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet-Mail
Date:    11/1/95 10:21 AM

On 1 Nov 95, Sandy Perle wrote:

 >   The only way a licensee can meet the NRC's intent is to provide each
 >   worker with a "baby sitter" to ensure that nothing is done to
 >   jeopardize the facilities' license conditions and the regulations.
 >   This is unreasonable, and, who will watch the "baby sitters" ??

Video monitoring of workers is a common method employed in some businesses,
industries, and schools to watch for illegal actions.  And then there's the
ultimate "buddy system"  -  the solution used by the military at ICBM silos
for missile launching was to require two people simultaneously unlock
separate switches.  Each was armed with a gun (civilian term for weapon) in
case the other one went "a little crazy in the head".

Rick

Richard G. Strickert, Ph.D.          |     "Absolutum obsoletum -
Radian Corporation, Austin, TX       |  if it works, it's out of date."
Internet:rick_strickert@radian.com   |            - Stafford Beer
 ---> "All written IMHO." <---       |