Re: Regs regarding I.V. Therapy with Radiopharmaceuticals

You wrote:

>Is anyone aware of a Federal or State regulation which either requires
that a
>physician actually administer an intravenous dose of a therapeutic
>radiopharmaceutical or that prohibits a nuclear medicine technologist
from
>administering the dose under the direct (meaning physically present)
>supervision of a physician?

No, I am not aware of such a requirement. I have included below the
Oregon rule related to the question. Basically it allows anyone meeting
the supervised individual requirements to administer doses UNDER the
supervision of the authorized user. However, note (1)(c) which states
that the authorized user must be IMMEDIATELY available to COMMUNICATE
with the supervised individual and (1)(d) only requires the authorized
user to be able to be present on ONE HOUR notice!!!

Hope this information is useful.

Ed Wright

Supervision

333-116-100

(1) A licensee who permits the receipt, possession, use or transfer of
    radioactive material by an individual under the supervision of an
    authorized user as allowed by OAR 333-116-030 shall:

    (a) Instruct the supervised individual in the principles of
        radiation safety appropriate to that individual's use of
        radioactive material;

    (b) Review the supervised individual's use of radioactive material,
        provide reinstruction as needed and review records kept to
        reflect this use;

    (c) Require the authorized user to be immediately available to
        communicate with the supervised individual;

    (d) Require the authorized user to be able to be physically present
        and available to the supervised individual (on one hour
        notice); and

        NOTE: The supervising authorized user need not be present for
        each use of radioactive material.

    (e) Require that only those individuals specifically trained and
        designated by the authorized user, shall be permitted to
        administer radionuclides or radiation to patients.

(2) A licensee shall require the supervised individual receiving,
    possessing, using or transferring radioactive material under OAR
    333-116-030 to:

    (a) Follow the instructions of the supervising authorized user;
    (b) Follow the procedures established by the Radiation Safety
        Officer; and
    (c) Comply with the Rules of this Division and the license
        conditions with respect to the use of radioactive material.