Required documentation of test results for Type A packaging- aREPLY

Bruce Pickett -- The following is in reply to your post regarding
Type A quantity being shipped back to the manufacturer and your
requirement that you have the engineering drawings for the Spec
55 packaging that was recertified as Type A.

49CFR178.601 is included in Subpart M, "Testing of Non-bulk
Packagings and Packages."  Subpart M includes 178.601 through
178.609.  You are shipping a bulk package not a non-bulk package.
Thus, Subpart M does not apply in your case. Your reference to
173.601 is not appropriate because 173.601 does not apply in your
case. Type A packages are covered under both Subparts I and K and
neither I nor K include any references to Subpart M.  If a
request for Subpart M information (test results, drawings, etc.)
is not compatible with Subparts I and K requirements, there is no
way the manufacturer can provice the information -- they don't
have it and never needed to have it.  If drawings do exist, and I
assume that they do, the DOT requlations do not require that they
be provided to you by the manufacturer.

In 173.415 it states that "Each shipper of a Spec 7A package must
maintain on file for at least one year after the latest shipment,
and shall provide to the DOT on request, a complete documentation
of tests and an engineering evaluation OR COMPARATIVE DATA
showing that ... comply with that specification."  173.415 does
not require the shipper (or the manufacturer) to provide
packaging design or drawings.  Only the documentation of tests
(which I assume are the 7A test results sent to you) or
comparative data.

	Has the manufacturer sent you the DOT 55 specification
information under which this package was originally built?
Normally, Spec 55 containers far exceed any current Type A
package specification and should easily suffice as the
comparative data section of the shipper's documentation
requirement.

	The following is a brief summary of applicable parts of
10CFR49.

Radioactive material n.o.s. [normal form or A(2) quantity of RAM]
   Exceptions: reference 173.421, 422 and 424
   Non-bult packaging: reference 173.415 and 416
   Bult packaging: reference 173.415 and 416
Radioactive material, special form, n.o.s. [Special form or A(1)
quantity of RAM]
   Exceptions: reference 173.421 and 422
   Non bulk packaging: reference 173.415 and 416
   Bulk packaging: reference 173.415 and 416

Note regarding 49CFR.  Radioactive materials are HAZARD CLASS 7
hazardous materials.  Class 7 materials have their own subparts
for compliance and are NOT SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE MEAURES IN
SUBPARTS NOT PERTAINING TO CLASS 7.

Subpart K - Specifications for packaging for CLASS 7 Radioactive
materials includes 49CFR178.350 through 178.364-6.
   This Subpart covers the package specificatns for the following
Radioactive Materials Packages: 7A, 6L, 6M, 20PF, 21PF, 21PF-1,
21PF-1B, 2R, 20WC and 21WC.

Sincerely,

Bill Schadt   (301) 622-9644 (voice)
              (301) 622-1582 (fax)