Re: Dose received from air travel?

Note to Radsafers:

Thos interested in doses from air travel may want to check UNSCEAR, Merrill
Eisnebud's "Environmental Radioactivity" or pp. 30-31 in my own book,
"Radioactivity in the Environment".  There is a danger in using electronic
dosimeters in that these are energy dependent and the cosmic ray energies
are quite high, so high in fact that the traditional definition of exposure
as expressed in roentgens does not apply, ie the energies are > 3 MeV>  If
one knows that altitude and duration of the flight plus the latitude, one
can determine the dose fairly easily.  However, as a bottom line, the
typical dose from a cross country (US, that is) flight at 11 km (35,000
feet) is 20-50 microGy (2-5 mrad).

Ron Kathren