Re: ??Background levels

cc: sei@cais.com,bbusby@umich.edu

I'm not sure if anyone else has regulations on this issue.  However,
Texas (TRCR Appendix 21-G; Acceptable Surface Contamination
Levels) has release criteria for "U- nat, U- 235, U-238, and
associated decay products except Ra-226, Th-230, Ac-227 and
Pa-231" of

Average  :  5000 dpm alpha/100 cm**2
Maximum  : 15000 "
Removable:  1000 "

Wes

> -----cut and fwd'd-------
> FROM:  sei@cais.com
>

> We have a client whose property had a lab which used uranium. The client
> would like to survey the property for background radiation levels. Are there
> any applicable standards which would apply? and what is the level that
> should not be exceeded? Thanks
>
>  Greg Wulchin
>  Sigal Environmental, Inc.
>  Washington, DC

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P., Administrator      512-834-6688
Licensing Branch                           512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us