Re: EPA-NRC Standards

>     It appears there was a meeting between the EPA and the NRC on November
>     6, 1995 for the purpose of achieving harmony between federal standards
>     ...attempt to obtain a copy of this later. The bottom line:
>
>...  2. NRC believes that a lifetime risk of [4 in 1,000] (equivalent to
>        the 100 mrem/year annual dose standard) is an appropriate risk
>        ceiling. EPA believes that lifetime risks higher than [1 in 10,000]
>        are unacceptable.
>
>...  From the Interagency Steering Committee on Radiation Standards
>     (ISCORS) ... the NRC's "seemingly less stringent standards" achieve an
>     equivalent level of protection because the NRC uses very conservative
>     modeling.

That is, a linear, no-threshold dose-response model, right?  EPA appears to
be using a different model - one I'd be interested in learning about.

Albert Lee Vest           The Ohio State University
Health Physicist    Room 103 1314 Kinnear Road Bldg
(614)292-1284                     1314 Kinnear Road
avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu   Columbus OH 43212
My employer did not review or approve this message.