Re: shielding contaminants

This problem would be simpler if more were known about the application.
10E3 reduction in radiation levels may mean several different things.
The amount of shielding required depends upon the desired reduction is
in overall radiation levels or a specific region of interest.  The
background spectrum in the region of interest should be used in
calculating shielding requirements.  Although graded shields of Pb, Cu,
and Al can be used, clean virgin lead may be sufficient in many
applications. Problems in background caused by contamination of steel
from fallout, refractory markers, or sources included in scrap can be
eliminated by not using steel.  Most detector manufacturers supply
shields for detectors.  However, lead brick may be less expensive, can
be used in configurations of your choice and reused in other applications.

Feel free to call me at 708-965-1999 if you would like to futher discuss
this shielding problem.

ELI A.PORT, CHP, CIH, P.E.
RSSI
eport@nwu.edu