RE: Please forward to multiple users of RADSAFE network

>A number of years ago, while working in the radsafe office at a large
>University, I received a telephone call from the University operator in the
>middle of the night informing me that "there has been an explosion
>involving radioactive material"

	This seems to be a common thread. Some years ago we had a small
	fire in the room directly across the hall from me. A bad power
	cord set the wooden top of a lab bench on fire. Lots of smoke,
	had to repaint the room and the corridor outside the room, but little
	other damage.

	A hospital security/fire team responded to the alarm (there was a
	heat detector in the room,) and quickly extingushed the fire. No big
	deal. Oh yea? We made the nightly news on the 3 major networks as

		"Fire in Radiation Lab at Michael Reese Hospital."

	Then, after the above teaser, the caster reported that

		"No radioactive materials were involved."

	Well, we are a department of "Radiation Therapy" and the fire
	did occur in what was then an instrument "Lab" (containing only
 	a monochrometer and balance used in ferrous sulfate dosimetry,) so
	I guess you could call it a "Radiation lab."

	Main thing is that the Hospital administration was made aware of
	what happened and quickly was able to dispell any radiation scares.
	It's a good idea to prepare the appropriate hospital supervisors
	for such cases, otherwise the Fourth Estate can do a Fifth Column
	job on you big time.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist     ___      "I think medical research would show
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___       that being a Cubs fan lengthens
Center for Radiation Therapy   | |_) _    your life. Or maybe it just _seems_
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    | \|_)   longer. " - Mike Royko
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-2517       |_)