Re: Reply to: Observed biological effects vs regs

Wade, BEIR V, on page 379, discusses "Epidemiologic Studies of Workers
Exposed to Low Dose, Low-LET Radiation." They dismiss all of those
studies by saying,"Although, because of limited size and exposure, such
studies cannot contribute directly to the estimation of stable radiation
risk estimates, they are of use for assessing whether such estimates are
substantially in error." I don't know what a "stable radiation risk
estimate" is, but I totally disagree with the BEIR document when it
completely throws out all data but that which supports the BEIR
preconceived conclusions. The whole Chapter 7 of BEIR V is a whitewash,
but, they do talk about the things you mention. Al Tschaeche.

*** Reply to note of 11/28/95 06:25
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: Reply to: Observed biological effects vs regs
Greetings from Lakeview OR to the Radsafe community!

Below is a list of references to papers appearing in peer-reviewed journals
or the like. The data and observations in each show a downward trend in
cancer incidence vs. radiation dose.
In addition to these there are other references with similar data, and of
course there is the body of work collected by Luckey.

1. As far as I'm aware the references given below are not mentioned in any
ICRP, NCRP, BEIR, or UNSCEAR report. But, perhaps I've overlooked their
mention. Can anyone tell me where, in any publication of ICRP, NCRP, BEIR, or
UNSCEAR, these references, or Luckey's data are discussed, refuted, or even
explained away?
Or, have they simply been ignored/overlooked?
2. Can anyone explain how ICRP, NCRP, BEIR, or UNSCEAR can set standards for
radiation protection and assess risks from radiation exposure without
considering all the data and observations?

Selected references
1.  Craig,L.; Seidman,H.
 Leukemia and lymphoma mortality in relation to cosmic radiation.
Blood 17 : 319, 1961.

2.  Frigerio,N.A.; Ekerman,K.F.; Stowe,R.S.
 The Argonne Radiological Impact Program (ARIP), Part I.
Carcinogenic Hazard from Low-Level, Low-Rate Radiation;
ANL/ES-26 Part I, Environmental and Earth Sciences, Sept. 1973.

3.  Frigerio,N.A.; Stowe,R.S.;
 Carcinogenic and genetic hazard from background radiation.
IAEA Symposium, Biological and Environmental Effects of Low Level Radiation,
vol. 2, pp 285-289, Vienna, 1976.

4.  Spalding,J.F.; Thomas,R.G.; Tietjen,G.L.;
 Life span of C57 mice as influenced by radiation dose, dose rate and age at
exposure.
Report UC-48, LA 9528, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, 1982.

5.  Abbat,J.D.; Hamilton,T.R.; Weeks,J.L.
 Epidemiological studies in three corporations covering the Canadian nuclear
fuel cycle.
pp 351-361, Biological Effects of Low Level Radiation.  IAEA-STI/PUB 646,
International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 1983.

6. Haynes,R.M.
 The distribution of domestic radon concentrations and lung cancer mortality
in England and Wales.
Rad. Prot. Dosim., 25, 2, pp 93-96 1988.

7.  Gilbert,E.S.; Fry,S.A.; Wiggs,L.D.; Voelz,G.L.; Peterson,G.R.
 Analysis of combined mortality at the Hanford site, Oak Ridge National
Laboratory, and Rocky Flats nuclear weapons Plant.
Radiation Research, 120 : 19, 1989.

8.  Wei,L.X.; Zha,Y.R.; Tao ,Z.F.; He,W.H.; Chen,D.Q.; Yuan,Y.L.
 Epidemiological investigation of radiological effects in high background
radiation areas of Yangjiang, China.
Journal of Radiation Research, 31, 1, pp 119-136, 1990.

9.  Dousset, M.
 Radon in dwellings.
Aerobiologica 6:36-38, 1990

10.  Nambi,K.S.V.; Soman,S.D.
 Further observations on environmental radiation and cancer in India.
Health Physics, 59, 3, pp 339-344, 1990.

11.  Chen,D.; Wei,L.
 Chromosome aberration, cancer mortality and hormetic phenomena among
inhabitants in areas of high background radiation in China.
Journal of Radiation Research, 32 Suppl. 2, pp 46-53, 1991.

12.  Matanoski,G.M.
 Health effects of low level radiation in shipyard workers.
E 1.99 DOE/EV/10095-T1 and T2, DOE Washington, 1991.

13.  Kendall,G.M.; Muirhead,C.R.; MacGibbon,B.H.; et al.
 Mortality and occupational exposure to radiation; first analysis of the
National Registry for Radiation Workers.
Brit. Med. J. 304:220, 1992.

H.Wade Patterson