Re: sewer disposal

Depending on the amount of material, its half-life and its solubility
in an ever-changing chemical environment of the sewer, I can foresee
problems with disposal.  One must remember that public works employees
do, from time to time, enter sewer systems .....

I have seen reports from a military site (which will remain nameless)
where the dose rates in a sewer system had been reported at 40 mr/hr
(0.4 mSv/hr, if you prefer SI).  The site did process radium and
thorium and although the dose rate could not be verified, one would
wonder if similar situations exist in other systems with different
radioisotopes and pathways of exposure.

paul charp (pcharp@ix.netcom.com)