Thermal pollution

Subject: Re: "POLLUTION FREE"
Author:  David F. Gilmore
Date:    11/30/95 4:11 PM

David wrote:

Excuse me, but what about thermal pollution?  I don't know much about
nuclear power, but aren't large amounts of water needed for cooling
purposes with resulting elevation of temperature in the receiving
waters?  Temperature changes can cause population changes in various
organisms, from microbes on up.

The generation of waste heat at a nuclear power plant
is no different than that from any fossil fuel plant.
When liquid water is boiled to produce steam, 540
calories of thermal energy are required per gram of
water.  This is latent heat of vaporization.  After the
energy is spent in the steam as its pressure is reduced
across the turbine, it is then condensed back into
liquid water.  During the condensation, the latent heat
is released into the cooling water.  This represents
about 2/3 of the thermal energy put out by the reactor.
The efficiency of a fossil plant is a little higher
because the steam is superheated therefore a larger
percentage of the energy is transfered to the steam
itself.

Thermal pollution is minimized in cases of river
discharge by first allowing the heat to dissipate into
the atmosphere via cooling towers or a cooling lake.

Paul Vitalis
Health Physicist
Byron-"Real Nukes Have Cooling Towers"-Station
byrpv@ccmail.ceco.com