Chi-Square Determinations

     Some training material I was reviewing several years ago suggested that one
     should not subtract background from source measurements made for chi-square
     determinations.  It was stated that this would add a bias to the results.
     I've not been able to locate a reference for this.

     Over the years, I have visited sites where background is subtracted and
     some where it is not.

     Does anyone have any thoughts on this or a reference?

     Clay R. Madden
     Principal Health Physicist
     Washington Public Power Supply System
     CRMadden@WNP2.COM