High Altitiude Exposures

Chat has been down to a minimum.  Everyone must have taken an early holiday.

A while back, a thread ran on exposures to flight attendants and pilots.
The mean exposures were between 1-3 mSv/year.  Hmm...this sounds like
occupational exposure.  In the world of DOE, these individuals must be
monitored for exposure because they exceed 100 mrem/year under typical
conditions (10CFR835).

Where is the dosimetry?  Where are the exposure records?  Navy Nukes are
badged...aren't they?

I had the luck of living next to a couple of flight attendants
(stewardesses-not politically correct).  No badges...no RAD training...  How
do these folks get by the regulators?

Flying the Concord surely allows a larger dose.  I understand that it is
less time, but the flight is much higher.  Now we're talking high energy
physics (>20Mev neutrons and much higher energy cosmic rays-accelerator type
stuff).

Do I fly or take the train with John Madden and his All Madden Team?
(please delete my message on responses and comments)

DISCLAIMER!!!DISCLAIMER!!!DISCLAIMER!!!
The opinions expressed may not be those of my employer.

Matthew Williamson
USDOE
Environmental Measurements Lab
376 Hudson Street
New York, NY  10014-3621

tel:   212-620-3793
fax:  212-620-3600
email:  mattw@eml.doe.gov

"I believe that many children are born with an inquisitive mind, the mind of
a scientist, and I assume that I became a scientist because in some ways I
remained a child."
- Leo Szilard