all it's only by agreement that the regulations are made. If enough
people agreed that 5 rem per year IS de minimis, it would be. :-). Al.
xat@inel.gov

*** Reply to note of 12/11/95 15:12

From: ronald kathren
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: High Altitiude Exposures
Some points to ponder:

Some 15 years ago, in an editorial in Health Physics (39:149, 1980), I
raised this very point; it is nice to know that it is now being revisited.
However, a mean exposure level of 1-3 mSv translates to less than 1/4 (or
even 1/10) the MPE, so theoretically, no monitoring is required.  As for the
DOE world, many of their (and contractor) employees who are not radiation
workers(perhaps even including the well travelled Secretary O'Leary herself)
would likely have to be monitored because of the 100 mrem/y regulations.
And, what should be done about thew person temporaily assigned to Denver
where the background component is higher.  Is this occupational exposure
because his/her employer assigned him/her to a high background area?

Ah, were there only a real de minimis level!!!!!

Ron Kathren