High Altitude Exposures thread - comments applicable globally

This is very true and hopefully has been expressed to the NRC in their
proposed decommissioning 59 FR 43200 (at least I think and hope it's still
a proposed regulation).  See proposed 10 CFR 20.1404 which states that a
site will be considered acceptable for unrestricted use if:

(a) the residual radioactivity is distinguishable from background but will
not result in a TEDE ... in excess of 15 mrem (yes, I'm a units
traditionalist)
                            AND

(b) the residual radioactivity has been reduced to levels that are ALARA.

On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, Bob Flood wrote:

> The problem with the application of the ALARA philosophy in the abseence of
> a de minimus value is simple: there is no number that cannot be divided by
> ten.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.