Straw Poll Results

The results of the LNT straw poll are in.  First we would like to thank the
89 respondents that took the time to answer.  We also apologize for the
confusion around questions 3,4.  Numerous respondents noted that no time
frame was given for the dose.  In preparing the questions we assumed a year,
and many respondents qualified their answers with a time.  This uncertainty
in the time frame for the exposure does raise some question about the
validity of the answers to questions 3,4.

If anybody has some suggested questions to followup this survey please send
them to us.  We will assemble the suggestions and will organize another poll
if there is interest.  TO HELP MINIMIZE THE CLUTTER ON RADSAFE, PLEASE SEND
YOUR QUESTIONS TO US DIRECTLY!

Jamie Mallon  email: jmallo@sandia.gov
or
Gus Potter    email: capotte@sandia. gov

RESULTS:

1. How familiar are you with research/documents that address LNT?
        15%     a.) Very familiar with the basic research and BEIR/ICRP/NCRP
        64%     b.) Familiar with BEIR/ICRP/NCRP
        21%     c.) Followed recent articles in HPS Newsletter and RADSAFE
        1%      d.) Unfamiliar(Gut Reaction)

2. How strongly do you support the LNT?
        0%      a.) I Believe
        6%      b.) Support it as a good model for the data
        44%     c.) The data is inconclusive, and LNT is reasonable/conservative
        40%     d.) A new. less conservative model needs to be developed
        9%      e.) LNT should be tossed immediately

3. Occupational doses less than __x__ do not warrent any expenditures to reduce
        38%     a.) x = 100mrem
        30%     b.) x = 500mrem
        17%     c.) x = 1rem
        13%     d.) x = 5rem

4. Occupational doses less than __x__ do not need to be quantified
        2%      a.) x = 0.1 mrem
        8%      b.) x = 1.0 mrem
        45%     c.) x = 10 mrem
        42%     d.) x = 100 mrem