Re[2]: MSDS for radiological hazards?

     The way that I understant MSDS, having spent about three years this
     decade playing at being the Health and Safety Manager for a consulting
     firm at a DOE facility, the MSDS is written following certain vague
     generalities and specific ambiguities specified in Title 29 Code of
     Federal Regulations Part 1910.1200(g).  This requires that certain
     physical and chemical characteristics be listed, however, the criteria
     for where these characteristics is left pretty much to the
     manufacturer of the hazardous material.  Tritium is listed in Title 49
     Code of Federal Regulations Part 172.100, Appendix, Table 2 (under
     Hydrogen-3, not tritium) with a RQ value of 100 Curies.  Apparently,
     this was enough for the manufacturer to consider the CYA game for
     himself, and an MSDS was made up for tritium concerning itself with
     the radiological aspect, in lieu of the chemical aspect.  (Let's face
     it, the human anatomy can not really determine H1 from H3, especially
     when the H3 is in H20 [having fun yet?]).

     Therefore, the manufacturer, in considering tririum to be a hazardous
     substance, as listed in 49CFR172.101, and not wanting to face the
     wrath of a Government agency (which is probably shut down as
     non-essential while the Senate and House determines just how bad Billy
     Clinton really is) decided to make a MSDS to cover his *** for a
     material that most of us RADSAFErs consider a nuisance.

     Hope this thoroughly muddles the question.

     R.R.Goodwin - Senior Health Physicist - Nuclear Material Safety
     Ohio Dept. of Health, Bureau of Radiation Protection
     Ronald_Goodwin@health.ohio.gov