SOS for help

We are seeking for help to treat a victim of an accidental
radiation exposure in China.

The person was doing maintenance work on an electron
accelarator for industrial radiation applications while
the accidental radiation leakage occurred.  The energy
level of the accelarator was 1.8MeV, high frequency voltage
was 3MV.  The distance from the radiation source was 0.5
Meter (about 20 in.).  The exposure time was about 6 to 7
minutes total (2 trips into the area).  With a couple of
layers of clothes, the person's entire back including head
and neck were exposed to the radiation.  He was diagnosed as
equivalent to 4 degree burning in a 50 by 50 sq. cm. area
on the back.  The symptoms have included (in order they have
occurred): itching, swollen, aching, and finally causing
skin erosion in a 40 by 40 sq. cm. area).  The body
temperature has been in a range of 37.5 - 38.9 degree C
(99.5 - 102 degree F).  The accident happened on Nov. 21,
1995.  The patient has been hospitalized since Dec. 7, 1995.
Medical treatments include some topical medications for skin
burning, hypodermic injection of penicillin, 17-Amino acidi
crystallini complicis 7.25%.  Surgical operations were
also recommended for skin transplant.

Since the treatments have been by and large topical
and not very effective, we are concerned about the
patient's short-term recovery and long-term well being.
We are seeking for suggestions on medical treatments,
directions to physicians and institutions specilized
in this field, and any experience/hints that maybe of
any help.  Please send reply to

julia.wang@west.smc.com  OR
helen@ralph.biomed.mcgill.ca

Thank you in advance for your time and help.