Bremsstrahlung (and other) reference information sources

Dear Radsafers

Happy New Year from the Frozen Great White North (Winnipeg, Canada). One day
last week it was -35 C with a howling wind - exposed skin freezes in less than a
minute!! Definitely more hazardous than radiation.  But we Canucks are used to
the cold, eh.

I recently ordered in (from England) a copy of the HHSC Handbook No. 15, 1994
(ISBN 0-948237-23-6) entitled "Bremsstrahlung from Radionuclides - Practical
Guidance for Radiation Protection" by I.S. McLintock.  It is part of a series of
HHSC handbooks that have been prepared on behalf of the (British) Association of
University Radiation Protection Officers.

I've found this handbook to be an extremely useful reference on the topic.

Table of Contents:

1.  Introduction
2.  Types of bremmstrahlung
3.  Spectra of bremmstrahlung
4.  Transmission/attenuation data for bremmstrahlung
5.  Calculation and measurement of bremmstrahlung dose rates
6.  Practical Examples
	-Dose rates at surfaces of commercial stock vials
	-Dose rates at the surfaces of McGregor blocks
	-Dose rates at surfaces of syringes containing P-32 and fitted with
 	perspex beta shields
	-Dose rates at surfaces of containers holding Cl-36, S-35 or C-14
	-Dose rates produced when lead is used to shield P-32
	-Dose rates produced when leaded perspex is used to shield P-32
	-Dose rates produced when leaded perspex is used to shield Sr-90/Y-90
	bremsstrahlung dose rates
	-Bremsstrahlung measurements for estimation of P-32 in waste containers

There are a lot of very useful tables and graphs and appendices - I've found
them a great resource when teaching nuclear med staff doing beta radionuclide
therapy about the potential hazards of high energy betas (P-32, Sr-89, Re-188,
Y-90, Sa-153 etc.) and safe handling procedures. It is also extremely useful for
teaching research lab staff.

The price is $30.00 US ($35 Cdn). It can be ordered from:
	H and H Scientific Consultants
	PO Box MT27
	Leeds LS17 8QP		International Tel +44 113 268-7189
	United Kingdom			      Fax +44 113 268-7191

At the same time you might want to request their catalogue of other handbooks,
monographs and training videos.  I have amassed a collection of some that I
would happily recommend:

#14	Radiation Protection: Handbook for Laboratory Workers
#13 	Treatment and Disposal of Clinical Waste
#11	Tritium: Radiation Protection In the Laboratory
# 9 	Phosphorus-32: Practical Radiation Protection

-	Health Physics Aspects of the Use of Radioiodines
-	A Literature Survey and Design Study of Fumecupboards and Fume-dispersal
	Systems

They also list publications on other radiation and occupational safety topics
(lasers, workplace chemicals, laboratory design, microbiological hazards,
personal sampling pumps, workplace allergens, etc.) that may be of interest.

I'd also highly recommend books from the Institute of Physical Sciences in
Medicine:  Contact 	ISPM Publications,
			P.O. Box 303
			York Y01 2WR
			United Kingdom

The National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) in the UK is also a marvellous
resource, with many publications, videos, slides and software available. The
NRPB publishes a periodic (quarterly?) newsletter which is excellent. An
up-to-date catalogue of current offerings is available by writing the NRPB.

Address:	NRPB Information Services Department
		Chilton, Didcot,
		Oxon OX11 0RQ		Fax +44 235 831600
		United Kingdom

Keep in mind that the above resource materials were developed and written for a
UK audience, and some of the standards, regulations and codes of practice quoted
may not coincide with those in other countries. Also, I'm not sure if videos
from the UK can be directly used on North American VCRs, or if they first have
to undergo some kind of "electronic translation" process.

This is definitely not a commercial advertisement for HHSC, ISPM or NRPB - I'm a
Canadian RSO for two university teaching hospitals in Winnipeg, Manitoba  - with
direct responsibility for a regional radiopharmacy, 2 nuclear medicine
departments and about 60 biomedical research labs. It is also my job to provide
technical support and radiation safety advice to another 7 community hospital
and clinic-based nuclear medicine departments in Manitoba. Teaching radiation
safety is a big part of my workload, so I'm always on the lookout for good
reference materials - handbooks, textbooks, slides, videos, cartoons, etc.

It appears that not many US or Canadian  RSOs are aware of some of the excellent
books and other resource materials available from Britain. I've found most of
the material I've ordered in to be of very high quality, practically oriented
and affordable.

I apologise for the length of this message but hope it is useful!

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office			Voice:	(204) 787-2903
Health Sciences Centre			Fax:	(204) 787-1313
GC-214, 820 Sherbrook Street		E-mail  KGordon@cc.UManitoba.ca
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3A 1R9