RE: Nonionizing Radiation, Microwave Ovens

In looking at the issue of microwaves in the early 80s I remembered
some work I did as an insurance consultant to IBM.  IBM had been
surveying microwave ovens for 10 years on a quarterly basis, I beleave
and after 10 years of not finding anything they decided to decrease their
frequency to annually.  This BTW was a local IBM facility in San Jose,
California, not the whole company.  But the San Jose facility employed
several thousand.

I agree with Chris Meyer that the capability to check an oven is prudent
but I do not think a periodic monitoring program is necessary or a good
investment of resources.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, Denver. vernig.peter@forum.va.gov

PS:  I have seen microwave ovens that were an obvious public health
hazard because they were so caked with food residue that I would be
reluctant to eat anything placed in them.  We do require microwaves to
be labeled for either food or not for food as some are used here with
experimental purposes.

Disclaimer:  The above represent my opinions only and not that of the
Denver VA Medical Center, Dept. of Veterans Affairs or U.S. Government,
or even IBM for that matter.