H-3

I have a flow-through type ion chamber monitor with which to measure H-3.
Supplied with the monitor is a "sniffing hose" made of tygon tubing. Based
on recent wipe-test results, the tubing has obviously captured some of the
H-3. It seems that much of the H-3 is never getting to the detector,
rendering some monitoring data useless.

I have two questions: 1.) Why is tygon an H-3 collector? and 2.) What
material could be used in place of the tygon and still provide the
flexibility needed for use as a "sniffing hose?"

I also wonder why a tygon hose was supplied with the detector in the first
place.

Thoughts and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Susan McElrath

Please respond directly to:
MCELRATHS@rscpo1.WILM.GE.COM