Re: Radionuclide in Sediment

On Wed, 10 Jan 96, stephens@lamar.ColoState.EDU (John Stephens) wrote:

>    I would like to ask if anyone recognizes that there are 2
>fundamentally different ways to regulate environmental contamination?
>and in particular for the radionuclides in the sediment (I did my
>thesis on Sr and Cs in sediments).

I agree that there are several ways of regulating contamination: real
(measurements) and imaginary (risk).  The current proposal of 0.15 mSv/y is
supposed to orrespond to a risk of 10E-4 which approximates the upper end of
Superfund risk numbers.  At least the powers that be are not pushing 1E-6 to
1E-5 risk values. As readers of Radsafe have seen over the past several months,
the LNT is/is not (pick one) adequate to those who develop regs/standards.  As
long as the public is the ultimate recepient of our efforts, risk methodology
may override what many of us consider common sense.
paul charp  (pcharp@ix.netcom.com)