Re: SEDIMENT AND REGS

You wrote:

>     Let me venture a statement on why.  First, during ops, the
>general public is not invited to have picnics and build houses on the
>licensees property.  Second and most important, we are talking about
>D&D releasing the property for unrestricted use.  If the dose limits
>are going to be higher based on ram left on site, then certain
>restrictions will apply to the property, including deed restrictions,
>access restrictions, etc.

What ever happened to ALARA? It may cost only $100,000 to reduce
residual exposure to 25 mrem/year and $10,000,000 to reach 15
mrem/year. Is this justified when that exposure difference from
naturally occuring doses may vary that much within a one mile radius of
the site? I am not against cleaning up after activities using
radioactive materials are completed, but let's not get rediculous. The
public does understand common sense, what makes them leary is all the
fighting among the so called professionals.

It is my opinion that 100 mrem/yr is a reasonable maximum if cleanup
activities go as far below that level as possible based on cost to
reach the lower dose rate. Each D&D activity should be reviewed and
approved by the appropriate licensing agency. This is especially
important when licensed activities in the past were based on higher
limits and, now out dated, acceptable practices.

>...Let's look at another aspect.  15 millirem per year is going
>to be somewhat, but not a lot, easier to determine than the EPA
>proposed 10 millirem per year, which if you calculate based on 24 hour
>occupancy for 365 days per year (worst case basis) the total dose rate
>allowable after D&D will be .00114 microR per hour.

Note: the above dose rate units should be mR/hr not microR/hr.

First off, the only people who occupy a land site 24 hours per day, 365
days per year are in pine boxes. Second, with all the wild worst-case
parameters that will be ass-u-me-d, you might as well say return to
background. An unrealistic expectation.

Edwin L. Wright, CHP
elw1@ix.netcom.com