Re: external dosimeter measurement accuracy

I would second this assessment for "test" dosimeters.  My experience is that
you get about 5% Std Dev. for each chip in dosimeters used in blind audit
programs where control of the anneal-irrad-read cycle is less stringent

 06:02 PM 1/18/96 -0600, sandy_perle@email.fpl.com wrote:
>     Accuracy is determined by the efforts put into developing the specific
>     dose algorithms for the specific type TLD or Film Badge utilized. I
>     suggest that you refer to ANSI N13.11 which addresses performance
>     testing requirements. I also suggest that you obtain a copy of "A
>     Comprehensive Set of Conversion Coefficients for Photons" by Chris
>     Soares, dated April 21, 1995. From my own data, it can be demonstrated
>     that when blind testing is conducted with a NIST facility, that
>     accuracy can be attained within +/- 2% across all 9 NVLAP testing
>     categories. In summary, the answer you're looking for is dependent on
>     WHO does the processing, and how good a TQM program is in place.
>
>     If you would like more specific discussions, call me. I will be happy
>     to discuss this topic with you or anyone else who might be interested.
>
>     Sandy Perle
>     Supervisor Health Physics
>     Florida Power and Light Company
>     Nuclear Division
>
>     (407) 694-4219 Office
>     (407) 694-3706 Fax
>
>     sandy_perle@email.fpl.com
>
>     HomePage: http://www.lookup.com/homepages/54398/home.html
>

>Does anyone out there have information concerning measurement accuracy
>(e.g. 95% C.L.) for external radiation dosimeters such as film badge or TLDs?
>I also need appropriate references. Thanks. Ken Mossman
>
>Kenneth L. Mossman, Arizona State University
>(602) 965-0584   FAX (602) 991-4998
>INTERNET: Ken.Mossman@ASU.EDU

Robert J. Gunter
CEDS Health Physicist