HAZARD CONTROL INDICES DOCUMENT

To those who requested "Hazard Control Indices for Radiological and
Non-radiological Materials".
From:  Gary F. Boothe (boothe@cbvcp.com)
The number of requests for the cited document is remarkable.  Nevertheless, I am
committed to getting a copy to all those interested, either electronically or by
regular mail.  After all, we all like to see our work disseminated as widely as
possible.  Most copies will be sent out by Monday (1/29/96).  I will also try to
post the document in the BB.
        I do wonder if the document will meet some of the expectations.  It is
not a sophisticated treatise dealing with the relative stochastic or
nonstochastic risks of radiological and non-radiological substances.  It is,
rather, a document that deals with the practical aspects of hazard control.
Think of risk as being like a very long ladder.  The higher up the ladder you
go, the greater the risk, each rung representing a risk level.  For a given
hazardous material, we're not sure where the upper rungs are.  However, we do
know where the lower rungs are.  For example, one of the rungs is the RUN OUT OF
THE AREA LEVEL (ROOTAL).  That is, if you are in a radiologically controlled
area and a CAM alarm sounds, you run away.  This level is usually set at 10% of
the DAC.  The ROOTAL for non-radiological materials is the TLV or the PEL.  The
ROOTAL represents a level of risk well below anything measurable or observable.
It is quite easy to normalize hazards based on the ROOTAL.  This is what the
document does.  Of course, the airborne hazards also depend on the resuspension
factors for a given material, and some normalization relative to this is also
done in deriving the hazard indices.
        I hope the document and the methodology described will be of some use to
those requesting copies.  It was very useful in designing a mixed waste
re-packaging facility at Hanford.  Anyone wishing to discuss the document may
communicate with me by E-mail or by phone (509) 376-0158.