Re: Pregnancy and Air Travel

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Ken Mossman wrote:

> I have done quite a bit of work in this area and have not heard of anyone
> giving such advice. Obviously, such advice is totally unfounded.

True, but this sort of advise should come as no suprise.  I once heard a
dentist say that the radiation exposure from dental x-rays was less than
exposure from a day at the beach.  (True if talking about UV exposure.)
Perhaps the HPS should lobby to have radiation protection taught by
radiation protection professionals in our medical schools.  Physicians
who understand radiation risks and the magnitude of exposures from
various sources could be a powerful ally in our efforts to inform the
public and allay unwarranted fears, since physicians generally are
considered highly credible.  Further, misinformation from physicians is
harder to straighten out.

By the way, would the obstretician be correct if the air travel was on
the Shuttle?

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.