Re: Pregnancy and Air Travel

Rick, I wonder, what advice did you give this woman?

The "Forum" article  "Health Physics and Aviation: 1990-1994" in the October
1995 issue of Health Physics, although it focuses on the risk to air carrier
crewmembers, is worth reading.

Although the exposure received during most flights is small, if a solar
proton event is occurring, the dose can be significant.  Especially if you
fly in a Concorde (or the Space Shuttle!)  at high altitude.  These risks
may seem trivial to most health physicists.  However, having recently
counselled a pregnant worker myself, I can tell you that many women are
quite keen on taking whatever measures they can to reduce the risk to their
developing child.

Perhaps the HPS could develop a brochure on the subject, and distribute it
to obstetricians.

D. Lee Beidelman  (beidelma@tis.inel.gov)

Standard Disclaimer: these are my personal opinions only.