Re: X-ray crystalography

Until recently it been my experience that the newer the machine, the more
in-built safety features it had.  The Philips range of XRF/XRD units are a
very good example if this progression away from reliance on the operator's
experience and caution towards engineered safety features.

 However, I recently encountered a new unit which  took me back to the
early days (not all that early, say units made in the 60's or 70's).  This
machine was designed  purely for open beam work and relies entirely on the
operator to decide on any additional safety barriers or interlocks.

Apparently, some of this make come with a safety housing, but this one
doesnt because of the size of the image receptor.  We have had to devise
barriers and sample loading/unloading procedures to reduce the possibility
of inadvertent exposure to the main beam (Cu k-alpha, abt 8 keV).

I would recommend to any RSO/HP: discuss the purchase of new XRD equipment
with researchers well before they buy and make sure the manufacturer can
supply equipment which complies with appropriate standards.

I'll supply the name of the Japanese manufacturer by direct email if anyone
is interested.

Michael Williamson
                                        ph +61 7 3365 4504
Radiation Protection Adviser            fax +61 7 3365 1577
Occupational Health & Safety Unit       m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Australia